Monday, September 23, 2013

Instagram

I started using instagram in July 2012, but I feel this summer I was using it more as a sketchbook and more regularly than previously. Here are some of the themes that have caught my interest:
  1. The sky (puffy clouds, the sun, and the moon)
  2. Dew Drops
  3. Spiders and Webs
  4. Girdling
Yes, today it was girdling! Check the girdling pics out on my instagram.  I had never heard of the term girdling before. I looked it up on wikipedia. It is apparently custom designed by the red-naped sapsucker and no wonder…they occurred on the trunks of sugar maples!

Although these themes seem mundane enough, coupled with my magical thinking they have provided significant inspiration for future projects. The girdling looks to me as though it is a secret cypher and the spiders when photographed at a low angle look as though they are denizens of the sky. I am planning on exploring both of these themes in the future. That's what sketchbooks are for after all!

Visit me at:


Susan Striepe @ fiveDstudio

No comments:

Post a Comment